Saturday, November 22, 2008

Self-medicating, for what?

I emailed someone about this blog.

They were extraordinarily kind and encouraging, which is nice.

From their own experience they suggested the description of my 'skittering mind' might indicate I had a problem with ADD, or attention deficit disorder.

It's a possibility I think. Many alcoholics and other addicts are said to be self-medicating - using a drug which alleviates the symptoms of an undiagnosed or untreated (usually mental) health problem.

It's tempting isn't it? It's not my fault, I'm ill, is one of the attractions. I'm tempted by the idea myself - and, partly, if I'm honest for the reason I've just mentioned. But, I do see some merit in this is my own case - the first time I ever got drunk it seemed a perfect fit for my mind, nothing had ever made me feel so clear, so happy, so at ease.

I do have a problem concentrating on one thing at a time, my mind flies all over the place and I'm happiest multi-tasking - while doing this I'm listening to the radio, and occasionally checking the comments at a newspaper site.

It's certainly something I'll try and mention at my Community Addiction Unit appointment on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Aran said...

Hmm. I hadn't thought of 'It's not my fault, I'm ill.' If you do have a level of ADD, here's hoping that you'll be able to get past that and on to the range of practical, positive, non-alcohol dependent strategies that can really help with it.

Speaking of which, I wonder if you've ever tried yoga? It's incremental by its very nature, so even if you just rock on your back on the floor as a warm-up, you've done some yoga for the day...:-)

The Drinker said...

Cheers Aran.

My girlfriend does a lot of Yoga, and I've tried in the past myself. Sadly, it's just a matter of motivation and discipline at the moment. In a phrase I will no doubt reuse many times (as I'm rather smugly proud of it) I have the discipline and self-control of a moth in a lighthouse.

Thanks for reading.

All the best,

The Cardiff Drinker.